Sunday, March 29, 2020

News coverage of Covid-19 analysis

By Rachel Mills

There have been non-stop updates from every major news outlet on the spread of Covid-19 since the outbreak in China at the beginning of the year.

I feel the news media have done a good job emphasising the seriousness of the situation, the importance of taking precautions and keeping the public educated. One thing that bothers me is that I feel like I'm drowning in Covid-19 coverage. It's so refreshing to read a story about something else, even if it's just one a day.

Most citizens know they can find updated numbers and stats online from the CDC or during the nightly news. I don't need to know how many more hundreds are infected every minute.

The stories that have stuck with me have been the stories that shed some positive light on the situation. Like the story about the students shopping for the elderly for free or how more dogs are being fostered during quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment